Family Support • Child Abuse Prevention • Respite • Child Care • Emergency Child Care • Crisis Intervention • Child Safety • Parent Support
Safe Families for Children provides parents in need with mentoring and support in times of crisis.
Safe Families connects at-risk families with volunteer mentor families. Mentor families agree to open their homes to the children of at-risk families so in a family crisis, children will have a safe home to go to.
This allows parents to have the time and space to work out their problems without having to worry about losing parental custody.
- Biological Parents maintain full custody of their children
- Mentor families are extensively screened and supported
- Children stay with their mentor families for six weeks on average
- Average age of child in Safe Families care is 4.5 years
- The goal is to reunite the family as quickly as possible
- For families with children
- This service is free
How to Apply
To get connected with a mentor family, or to refer a family in need:
- Call 773-653-2200 OR
- Complete the online referral form.
If you have completed online application after hours or on weekend and it is an emergency situation, a Safe Family Representative will contact you within 12 hours. If a non-emergency, a representative will contact you next business day. Please note on application preferred language other than English. For more information, please contact Aaricka Yarger, Intake Supervisor at x305.