Transportation • Disability Services • Seniors • Reduced Fare
The RTA issues Reduced Fare and Ride Free permits to eligible riders throughout the region. The RTA Reduced Fare Permit allows older adults, age 65 and older, and qualified people with disabilities and Medicare recipients to ride all RTA fixed-route services (regularly scheduled CTA, Metra and Pace buses or trains in Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will Counties) at a reduced fare.
- If you are 65 years or older and not enrolled in the Illinois Department on Aging's Benefit Access program, you are eligible for a reduced fare permit.
- All persons with a qualifying disability who are not enrolled in the Illinois Department on Aging’s Benefit Access program are eligible for reduced fare permit.
- Any individual with a valid Medicare card is eligible for a reduced fare permit. To apply as a Medicare cardholder, you will need verification of Medicare status. You can obtain a printout verifying your status by calling the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213, or by visiting a Social Security Administration Office, or by downloading a statement on the Social Security website.
- Services provided on a sliding scale
- Seniors accepted
How to Apply
Individuals may apply:
- In person at the RTA’s Customer Service Center at 69 W. Washington St., Lower Level Pedway in Chicago Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
- At any one of the registration sites in the region. To find a site near you, call 836-7000 from any local area code. See Senior Registration Sites. See Persons with Disabilities Registration Sites.
- By mail, by downloading an application and mailing it to the address listed:
When applying, please be prepared to provide:
- A copy of a government-issued picture identification card that verifies your age (driver's license, state of Illinois ID card, alien registration card or passport).
- A wallet-sized color photo of yourself that is approximately 2" square. Do not wear a hat, scarf or sunglasses in the photo. Some registration centers may charge up to $5 for taking your photo. The RTA’s Customer Service Center does not charge for this service. You should receive your new reduced fare permit within 3-4 weeks.
- For questions you may have or for assistance with your application, call 312-913-3110 and press menu option 2.