Relocation Support • Section 8 Voucher
HCP works with families who have a rent subsidy through the Housing Choice Voucher Program (Section 8), providing education and support to encourage families to move to an “opportunity” area. The program assists families to move into Chicago Housing Authority (CHA) designated Opportunity Areas within the City of Chicago that are specifically identified neighborhoods that offer quality housing and positive economic characteristics. Families are given information on tenant rights and responsibilities, housing options throughout the region, and support services available once a move is made. Opportunity areas generally have better educational and employment choices so that families can use their subsidy not just to pay the rent but to improve their lives.
A Mobility Counselor assists families to identify housing and community needs and desires, as well as locate a unit in an Opportunity Area. Families work with the Mobility Counselor throughout the move process to assist with transition into new communities (e.g. locating community resources, enrolling children in schools). Participants can also take advantage of the following benefits:
- Workshops on home maintenance, financial management and tenant rights
- Community tours and unit search assistance
- A grant of up to $500 to be used toward a security deposit or move-in fees applied.
- Must have a Section 8 Housing Voucher.
- Current HCV participants who do or do not currently live in Opportunity Areas, new admissions, and families porting-in from another Housing Authority are eligible to participate in the CHA Mobility Counseling Program.
- This service is free
- Adults accepted
- Seniors accepted
How to Apply
Referrals are accepted but not required. Provider or individual should contact Melanie Toney at MToney@HCP-Chicago.org or 773-451-0203, ext. 232 for assistance.