Labor • Postpartum Services • Birth Support • Breastfeeding Support • Labor And Delivery • Doula Services
Chicago Volunteer Doulas is a birth justice organization providing comprehensive doula support with a focus on vulnerable communities in the Chicago-land area. Doulas provide educational, physical and emotional support before, during and immediately after labor and childbirth. All CVD doulas have been trained by an accredited organization;many are certified. Bilingual doulas are available.
Chicago Volunteer Doulas are able to attend births at any hospital within the city limits of Chicago, as well as Evanston Hospital (Evanston), West Suburban (Oak Park), and the PCC Wellness Birth Center in Berwyn.
A Doula Provides Support by Giving:
- Emotional Comfort - Support and encouragement before, during and after labor and delivery
- Physical Comfort - Relaxation and breathing techniques; massage; different positions to enhance the progress of labor and delivery; application of heat/cold and pressure points to relieve pain
- Informational Support - Information about labor and delivery
- Breastfeeding Support - Support for the client at the start of breastfeeding and subsequent consultations, if needed
- Family Support - Support for the partner and/or other people to assist them in helping the client
- Support is available in English and Spanish
- For families that make under $50,000 a year
- Services are provided on a donation basis.
- Accepts women
How to Apply
Expectant mothers can request doula services from Chicago Volunteer Doulas (CVD) by filling out the online request form.
CVD works with all families who make under $50,000/year. There are factors that can make an applicant eligible even if she makes over $50,000/year; inquire for details. You can select a donation amount that is workable for your family, keeping in mind that the donation serves to help provide doulas for others. Please submit half of your donation with the application as a non-refundable deposit. You will be assigned a doula once you have submitted your application and initial donation. The remainder of the donation is due before 38 weeks of pregnancy.